The Pros & Cons of the Top 7 Outdoor Patio Furniture Materials
Most homeowners feel at sea when choosing furniture for their homes. They prefer investing in furniture that packs the essential features, from quality to durability and aesthetics to functionality. The entire process becomes even more complicated when purchasing furniture for outdoor living spaces. Buyers need furniture that withstands severe weather conditions and deals well with vexing environmental stressors. Therefore, getting familiar with the merits and demerits of different outdoor furniture is crucial before spending your hard-earned money. This article discusses various furniture types, how they’re made, and their unique advantages and disadvantages. This guide will come in handy for you, whether you’re a business owner willing to invest in quality furniture for your consumers or a homeowner wanting to buy one.
Most people start thinking about their outdoor space at the beginning of Spring. Sure enough, the lush green grass, sweet-smelling flowers, and exterior lighting complement the home landscape, but outdoors are more than just that.
Because individuals utilize their outdoor space for BBQ dinners, special events, or to enjoy a bright sunny day alone, they need reliable outdoor furniture to cater to their needs.
With endless options available on the market, choosing the best furniture is not a walk in the park. Homeowners must consider numerous factors before buying outdoor furniture, from durability to attractiveness and color options to price tag.
There’s no rose without a thorn, and every furniture type has its pros and cons. We’ll delve into the advantages and disadvantages of several outdoor furniture types for a closer look.
The Pros and Cons of Rattan Outdoor Patio Furniture
Rattan is one of the oldest and the most popular outdoor furniture. Homeowners have been using it for years, and for good reasons. It is resistant to UV light and stands well against the test of time.
For instance, the rattan material does not fade or bleach in the sun. So, anyone can keep it outdoors without affecting its natural hue. Another pro of rattan furniture is that it’s low maintenance.
So, you do not need to go above and beyond to keep it clean and retain its natural look. Its durable structure makes it sturdy enough, and consequently, it requires less upkeep.
Although rattan furniture was popular back then due to its appealing appearance, it gained more traction recently, with numerous credible brands manufacturing it.
While the shape, texture, and design of rattan furniture are attractive per se, its customization makes it stand out.
For instance, buyers can complement its natural look by adding striking outdoor cushions.
However, note that the appearance of rattan is significantly determined by how it’s weaved. For this reason alone, closely observing the furniture pieces is a must. Generally, loose threads indicate it wasn’t appropriately weaved.
Besides, loose threads also signify its compromised design, and anyone could easily notice it. These empty spots also quickly unravel, negatively affecting the furniture’s aesthetics and durability.
Also, because rattan furniture is a long-term investment and comes with an expensive price tag, you should ensure you’re buying the correct piece.
- Rattan furniture features a timeless design that lasts for years. Perhaps this explains why it gained attention during the 40s and 50s and remains a popular consumer choice.
- Although it may require high upfront costs, it can save you money down the line. The durable material doesn’t wear and tear due to outside environmental stressors.
- Regardless of how robust furniture is, it tends to fade due to UV ray exposure. Lucky for you, the UV-resistant rattan furniture eliminates the trouble.
- You can customize the rattan furniture to fit your unique style and add more functionality.
- Rattan furniture is not the most affordable outdoor furniture. In fact, it wouldn’t be wrong to consider it one of the costliest outdoor furniture.
- The loose weaves of rattan furniture can negatively impact its appearance.
The Pros and Cons of Aluminum Outdoor Patio Furniture
Regrettably, many people take aluminum for granted, but it is one of the most beautiful outdoor furniture materials. The versatility, durability, and affordability make it an outstanding choice for the outdoor setting.
Besides, the aluminum is recyclable, which is another plus. Although any homeowner would rarely consider the recyclability factor when purchasing outdoor furniture, they can benefit from this feature in the future.
For instance, individuals may want to level up their outdoor living space by recycling and reusing their aluminum furniture. The material comes in handy in that case.
While many confuse aluminum with steel, there’s a fine line between furniture types. Steel is less durable because it rusts over time. On the flip side, aluminum doesn’t corrode like steel or iron. This allows homeowners to use their outdoor furniture any time of the season.
You can keep the aluminum tables and chairs outdoors even during rain and snow and be at ease – they won’t rust or damage.
Another factor that makes aluminum worthwhile is its weight. Anyone can easily move the furniture from their patio to their garden or vice versa because of its lightweight.
However, the lightweight comes with a massive downside. For instance, heavy winds can easily knock over the furniture. While this won’t break your furniture, it may cause dents making your furniture unsightly. At this point, only a professional welder can fix the bends.
Although all aluminum pieces are lightweight, quality manufacturers provide extra support to the furniture. So, homeowners spending more money to purchase from quality brands won’t encounter bends after a gust of wind blows their aluminum tables and chairs.
- The powder-coated and painted aluminum will not rust, which is a massive benefit given that people place it outdoors. So, rain, hail, or snow doesn’t compromise the quality of aluminum furniture.
- Aluminum furniture won’t cost anyone an arm and a leg. However, the low price tag doesn’t signify compromised features. Aluminum is pretty attractive and outshines most outdoor furniture in terms of aesthetics. So, it’s a two-in-one package: affordability packed with attraction.
- The lightweight allows you to move it at your convenience. Buyers can move the furniture from their lawn to their deck or the other way round without hassle.
- The recyclable material allows to upgrade and reuse the furniture as needed.
- Aluminum may not perform well during strong winds. It can easily knock over, resulting in dents and bends.
- DIY fixing doesn’t work for damaged aluminum; only a professional welder can mend the broken furniture.
The Pros and Cons of Wrought Iron Outdoor Patio Furniture
Wrought iron furniture is popular for being strong and heavy. The chairs and tables of wrought iron are not subject to frequent knock overs due to winds and storms.
So, homeowners can keep them outdoors without worrying about rainstorms or winds damaging their wrought iron furniture.
One of the biggest benefits of this furniture is its attractive and aesthetically pleasing designs. Anyone into trendy styles would adore the striking look wrought furniture offers. Manufacturers use varying methods to add to its beauty, from swirls to floral arrangements.
Besides, this furniture type doesn’t require much maintenance. Instead, dusting it off once a week will do. However, because it’s “iron” by the end of the day, it can rust over time. Nonetheless, this issue can be avoided by applying a wax or sealant annually.
Practicing this habit ensures the furniture withstands environmental stressors and helps retain its look. So, proper maintenance can make it last for years, which makes one reason why it’s expensive.
- The furniture used by someone’s grandparents might not be in today, and it’s not surprising; trends evolve. Fortunately, that’s not the case with iron patio furniture. The timeless design makes it an evergreen piece of furniture for the patio and yard.
- The sturdy furniture doesn’t blow in the event of strong winds; given that, buyers successfully avoid a significant problem: the bends and breaks of falling furniture. Gladly, wrought iron prevents the issue.
- Wrought iron is a perfect choice for homeowners looking to upgrade their patio – and do not mind paying a hefty price tag simultaneously.
- Manufacturers often decorate wrought iron chairs and tables with granite tiles or glass. These materials make up a perfect embellishment and offer a more sophisticated look.
- Buyers can customize wrought iron furniture by placing beautiful-looking cushions. Adding cushions not only boosts the aesthetics of the furniture but also makes up for a practical option. For instance, the furniture becomes more comfortable to sit on.
- Wrought iron furniture is high maintenance as it requires waxing and sealing to keep it in shape. Otherwise, it’ll rust and appear unsightly.
- It isn’t uncommon for homeowners to run into chipped wrought iron furniture. This requires additional maintenance to touch up the furniture.
- The durability and versatility of wrought iron furniture make it expensive outdoor furniture.
- The furniture gets incredibly hot during the blistering summer days, making it difficult to use.
- Because wrought iron furniture is heavy, moving it from one place to another feels challenging.
The Pros and Cons of Stainless Steel Outdoor Patio Furniture
The wind-resistant and durable stainless steel furniture make it an ideal choice for the outdoor living space. Anyone who uses outdoor furniture frequently during summer should consider buying one.
Yes, it is more expensive than wrought iron, but it provides better value after the initial purchase. This is particularly important for those who update their outdoor furniture frequently. The second-hand stainless steel sells out at a fairly good price. So, it’s worth the investment.
Nonetheless, rust is a concern for homeowners purchasing this furniture. However, one can avoid this problem by opting for a particular stainless steel grade.
For instance, those featuring high chromium are resistant to rust but require more upfront costs. Therefore, most stainless steel outdoor furniture contains low-grade alloy – because most homeowners prefer buying affordable furniture.
The low-grade stainless steel furniture comes with a powdered coating to prevent corrosion. That said, you’d also need to maintain it to keep it from rusting.
Besides, consider covering the furniture during winter and avoid disusing it during summers. Homeowners can always move the furniture indoors when they aren’t using it.
Placing the furniture in the garage or below a shade outdoors will do. This will increase the lifespan of outdoor furniture. Besides, you’ll need to do minimal to retain its look.
- Because outdoor furniture is exposed to numerous irritants, homeowners prefer a durable material that doesn’t resist environmental stressors. Luckily, stainless steel furniture is reliable and long-lasting. Its color doesn’t fade, nor does it easily breaks.
- The sturdy stainless steel furniture is wind resistant. Simply put, heavy winds would not blow the furniture away. As such, you can place it outdoors without worrying about breaking it.
- Buying stainless steel furniture is a valuable investment. Homeowners who prefer upgrading their lawn or deck should consider buying this furniture because it sells at a good price.
- While stainless steel might not be a popular consumer choice, it offers a modern appearance. Adding stainless steel furniture can be your best bet if you’re into retaining your garden’s aesthetics.
- The low-maintenance furniture only requires occasional cleaning.
- Stainless steel furniture is cheaper than wood and performs better than the latter.
- Customers can pick from numerous color options and designs.
- Stainless steel furniture is not the most UV-resistant outdoor furniture. You’ll observe its color fading over time if it’s painted in lighter shades. So, you may need to repaint it frequently.
- Cracks in the furniture can lead to rust.
The Pros and Cons of Wooden Outdoor Patio Furniture
Teak, oak, and pine wood are preferred consumer choices for all the right reasons. Wood furniture offers a stylish look and fits perfectly against the lush green yard.
While a few wooden pieces of furniture are prone to moisture and termite attack, those constructed for outdoor spaces have natural oils and rubber to prevent this issue.
Therefore, outdoor wood furniture can easily last for years. Nonetheless, like any other exterior furniture, it requires regular maintenance to prevent rot. Besides, a few wood types are more sensitive than others.
For instance, pine and teak need more maintenance than oak wood to retain their natural look. Therefore, experts recommend keeping the wood furniture covered when not used.
Generally, quality teak wood furniture manufacturers dry down the moisture level to 10% before constructing the furniture. This boosts the furniture’s ability to withstand extreme weather conditions.
So, homeowners wanting to buy wooden furniture for their patio should invest in quality wood. Yes, it’ll require them to pay more initial costs, but it’s worth it. Quality wooden furniture will last longer, making it a desirable choice for outdoor furniture.
That said, wooden furniture, in particular, needs proper maintenance to prevent it from harsh weather and parasitic attacks. For instance, polishing the wooden chairs and tables time and again protects invaders like fungi and termites.
Lastly, we do not recommend wooden furniture to anyone living in an area with frequent rain and snowstorms. Regular rainfall would damage the wood by the end of the day.
However, those living in places with only occasional downpours should go for wooden outdoor furniture; it gives a rustic feel and packs simplicity with class.
- Teak wood makes up for ideal outdoor furniture. Its quality, strength, and robustness make it unbreakable. Besides, slight maintenance will keep it from termite attacks.
- Someone into aesthetics should buy wooden outdoor furniture without a second thought. The golden-brown color elevates the home exterior. Besides, the shiny and smooth texture accentuates your patio.
- Wooden furniture is also customizable. You can add cushions for a more comfortable feel.
- The recyclability factor makes it a worthwhile investment.
- Outdoor wooden furniture is not heavy. While this is a plus, given that you can easily move it, this factor makes it prone to movement.
- This furniture isn’t an ideal choice for low-maintenance homeowners. Because wooden furniture requires regular maintenance, it’s better to purchase furniture that requires maintenance only occasionally.
The Pros and Cons of Wicker Outdoor Patio Furniture
Not many people are familiar with wicker.
Most outdoor wicker furniture is made from synthetic polyethylene resin. However, you’ll also find natural wicker made from different organic sources, including bamboo, rattan, cane, sea grass, and reed.
Wicker is made into varying shapes, from tables to chairs and sofas.
Although the history of wicker furniture can be traced back to 3000 BC, it is making a comeback today due to its durability and material quality.
But that alone isn’t the only pro; wicker furniture makes up for perfect outdoor furniture due to its aesthetic appeal. Placing wicker chairs and tables on the patio or home landscape makes it eye-catching. Besides, it stands well against harsh weather conditions.
- The stunning wicker furniture gives a perfect look to your yard and patio.
- Wicker furniture doesn’t necessarily have to be brown. Today, manufacturers build varying color schemes for consumers. Choosing a neutral tone will be the right choice for those into minimalistic styles. However, homeowners who like a funky exterior can purchase colored wicker.
- The wicker furniture made from synthetic polyethylene resin is solid and durable. Besides, its toughness boosts once manufacturers weave it onto a frame.
- Wicker furniture doesn’t attract bugs. Besides, it won’t rot either. An annual coat is all it takes to retain its look and prevent damage.
- The steady and lightweight wicker furniture is safe for children. Homeowners do not need to keep an eye on their kids as they play outdoors because they won’t tumble from the furniture while playing – which is otherwise common in other furniture types.
- Buyers should carefully observe wicker furniture when spending money. Ill-crafted wicker furniture loses its integrity within days. Apart from losing weaves, it also becomes uncomfortable to sit on.
- Natural wicker is susceptible to damage from severe weather conditions, humidity, and moisture.
The Pros and Cons of HDPE Outdoor Patio Furniture
Furniture made from high-density polyethylene (HDPE) packs durability with quality and aesthetics. It comes in a massive range of outdoor furniture, from colorful chairs to striking sofas.
Although a few people overlook the importance of poly lumber furniture, it’s because they do not know how its made and what purpose it serves. This furniture is made by recycling plastic waste, which benefits nature. Besides, it doesn’t leach chemicals into landfills during manufacturing, which is another plus.
While the traditional steel, wood, and aluminum furniture are prone to rust and moisture-absorption, HDPE outdoor furniture eliminates such troubles due to its material quality.
Homeowners need to polish wood and repaint aluminum furniture to retain its natural look, but HDPE furniture doesn’t require much maintenance. A wipe is all it takes to clean off the dust on the furniture.
Besides, given the many colors of this furniture, a few people assume it fades due to the sunrays. However, that’s not the case. The robust material resists UV sunrays and stands well against the weather. So, no matter the season or weather, you won’t encounter deteriorating HDPE outdoor furniture.
Note that the poly lumber furniture is not your ordinary plastic furniture. While traditional plastic can break with a hard blow, poly lumber doesn’t wear in an outdoor setting. The toughness of this furniture type makes it one of a kind, and there’s no reason not to invest in one.
- The HDPE plastic mixes UV-inhibiting components making it resistant to the UV rays. So, the poly lumber furniture will survive well under the sun. It won’t burn like steel furniture nor fade like low-quality plastic outdoor furniture.
- Anyone into DIYing can practically benefit from this furniture type. Traditional wood or plastic may break when DIYing; you can safely handle the poly lumber furniture. It resists drilling and nailing, making it easier for you to join the HDPE pieces.
- Most homeowners today advocate environmentally-friendly practices because they want to reduce their carbon footprint. Luckily, poly lumber furniture offers a sustainable outdoor furniture solution because its made from recycled waste.
- Harsh weather conditions would not take a toll on poly lumber furniture. The water and weatherproof material make it one of the reliable furniture for outdoor living spaces.
- Buyers can choose from varying colors, from blues to greens and neutral shades.
- Because poly lumber furniture promotes eco-friendly practices by recycling plastic waste, the manufacturing process is not straightforward. The plastic goes through a series of steps before the furniture is made. As such, it’s a bit on the expensive side.
- The versatility of this furniture may tempt buyers to move it from deck to lawn and lawn to yard, but its weight makes it challenging to lift.
Buying furniture is a one-time thing and certainly not a cakewalk. All homeowners prefer investing in furniture that lasts for years. When planning to extend their outdoor living space, they must choose even more cautiously.
A furniture material that withstands outside stressors and requires minimal maintenance can be the best bet for every buyer. Gladly, poly lumber outdoor furniture packs incredible strength with weather-resistant features.
We, the HDPE plastic manufacturer maintains the highest standards, outshining other material manufacturers. While the choice depends on the buyers by the end of the day, it’s evident how poly lumber furniture might be a better choice for outdoor living spaces.